Thursday, January 23, 2014

Homemade Pan Release (Baking Spray)

Homemade Pan Release (Baking Spray)


Ingredients

1 cup flour
1 cup shortening
1 cup  canola oil 


Method

Place all ingredients in medium bowl and whisk well by hand. The mixture will be smooth and creamy.
Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
When ready to use:
Dip a pastry brush into mixture and spread over bottom and sides of cake pan.


Tips for success

I have used this with success on all types of cake batter, thick and thin.  However, some people suggest using more ‘goop’ with chocolate cakes and runny batter.

I whisk my ingredients by hand, but you can certainly use a mixer.  If you use a mixer the ingredients will still be creamy, but will be slightly fluffier right away.

Typically, I do not allow the cakes to cool to room temperature in the pan.  I try to remove cakes from oven and within fifteen minutes invert them to a cooling rack.  In my experience, when the cakes were allowed to completely cool to room temperature in the pan they did not release as well.

Be generous with the goop.

Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.  When I left mine on the counter for an extended period of time it seemed to separate faster.  If you find the mixture separated at all, simply re-mix.


You can easily halve or even quarter this recipe.  I used the above recipe in about 5 months.  (I bake a lot.)
sources:iambaker

No comments:

Post a Comment